Sunday 29 November 2015

Someone Who Has Influenced My Life.

The first person that came to my mind when I had to write about this topic is my father. I know it sounds cliché but he is the greatest man I have ever known in my life. My dad, although strict, is also very patient and loving. He nags a lot, but he also gives good advises and word of encouragements.

My father has always been there for me. He would even do simple things like accompanying me to the doctor when I was sick because I did not want to go alone. Even when I was facing difficulties in my studies during my polytechnic phase. I was enrolled into a school and course, both not of my choices. Even though I tried to appeal to change my course and school, my appeal applications were rejected. After my father encouraged me to continue with the given course, I accepted the course and studied for a year. In my second year, I dropped out. I could not continue studying something I had zero interest in. My father was initially unhappy about it but he still supported my decision.

I applied for my choice of course and school the following year when the application was opened. Again, I was rejected. I thought of just taking up a private diploma but my father told me to seek help from the members of parliament (MP) in our area. My father brought me to one of the ‘Meet The People Session’ to request for the MP to help me appeal into the school of my choice. True enough, I received a call from Ngee Ann Polytechnic offering me a course. I accepted the course and did my best in school.

Growing up, my father always told me stories of the hardship he had gone through when he was young. Coming from a poor family, my grandparents could not afford to pay for my father’s and his siblings’ education. My father did not complete his secondary education and as one of the oldest in the family, he had to take up odd jobs to provide for the family and his younger siblings’ education. He took up night classes to receive better certifications in order to get better paid jobs. He always mentioned how tough it was to get to where he is right now and how important education was to get a well-paid job.

I look up to my father and I admire his perseverance to break through the poverty life and to provide for the family so that all of us can lead a more comfortable life. Whenever I feel like giving up, I would think of the stories he told me, the hardships he had gone through and press on with whatever I am doing. I can never be more grateful to my father for always giving his best to the family.

Thank you dad.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Eunice, for sharing this intimate reflection on the place of your father in your life. It warms my heart to hear how your dad supported you and acted as a model of perseverance. Now that you are an engineering student at SIT, you and he both must be very proud of your achievement. So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eunice, thank you for sharing this post. It was inspiring to hear of your father's determination and breakthrough towards the challenges he faced. Despite the hurdle you faced in the past, you are now an undergraduate student in the engineering discipline. Your actions also reflect your father's perseverance in life. Surely he is proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eunice, thank you for sharing about how your dad has influenced you. I believe that a girl’s dad is one of the most influential people in her life, from infant to toddler to teen to a young adult. With all the verbal encouragement that your dad has been giving, being consistently present in your life, being alert and sensitive to your feelings and taking time to listen to your thoughts have helped you to diminish your insecurity and increase your confidence in your own abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eunice,
    Thanks for sharing your storey! I believe everyone of us has a side of being a daddy's girl reason being that they are the pillar of strength for the family. It's nice knowing that your dad supported you throughout even though he is rather unhappy that you withdrawing from the school. Often, hearing stories from dad's made us realise how fortunate we are to be able to study even though at the age of twenties right now. I am sure your dad is proud of you for what you've archived! Continue striving hard for what you wanted! GAMBATTE! (:

    ReplyDelete