Sunday 29 November 2015

Critical Reflection: The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback

Communication is an essential tool which has been used since the start of our education and will also be used in the working society. From writing short essays about my hobbies to writing reports in universities, and from doing a basic self-introduction in front of the class to doing formal presentations in front of professors and classmates for projects, writing and speaking have been a part of my life since I was enrolled into kindergarten. Effective Communication is a beneficial module that I am taking currently in SIT that helps to improve on writing and presenting.

Through this module, I have to post my writings and assignments on this blog. After the dateline of the post, a peer and tutor feedback is required. Groups are assigned and my group mates have to write comments on my posts on how my writing can be improved, be it in terms of sentence structure or proper grammar usage. I, too, have to comment on my group mates' posts.

Initially, I had no idea how to give appropriate feedback. I remember praising my group mate's writing in the feedback that I have given him. I felt that I could not give proper feedback as I am not very good in my writing. I could give a wrong feedback while trying to correct my group mate's writing. It takes me some time to think about what feedback to give my group mates. Through my tutor and group mates' feedback to me, I slowly learnt how to give appropriate feedback to my group mates.

Receiving feedback from my peers and tutor definitely helped in my writing. The feedback helps me see the common mistakes that I make when I write and teaches me the correct way to write. I feel that this is a good system where peers can help each other in learning and also see how my peers view a topic from a different perspective. My tutor has also given me very detailed and clear feedback on both my writing and presenting skills.

After taking up this module, I realised that I have been reading and checking through my reports for constant verb tense usage before submission - one of the things that I have learnt from this module. This module has shown that it is beneficial. I may not have shown tremendous improvement, but I have definitely shown improvement in my writing.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Eunice, it was nice that you included the learning process in this post as well. The start is always the hardest, and you have improved a lot over the trimester. I think you just need to be more confident in your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eunice, I am glad that you now have the habit of checking through your reports for grammar mistakes. We often think that grammar errors won't make a difference in the report as long as the information is being delivered. However, that's not the case. The choice of language, words and tone used are very vital in our writings. Let's continue to work hard and apply what we have learnt in this module for our report writing and presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eunice, from the first post till now I felt that your writing of an essay has been improving. It is good that you double check your words and sentencing before submission to minimize the errors. And with feedback from peers and tutors, you can improve your writing. The feedback you give to your peers will be beneficial even though you said 'you started praising your team members writing at first' it can be seen as encouragement to the person for him/her to do better. Overall, just keep writing and I am sure your English will improve day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eunice,
    From your first post on my english language journey to this post, I am sure that you've made improvement in your writings. Glad that you are making the effort to check through your grammars and very tenses before submission every now and then. Overall, I believe we've learnt a lot from this module and this module is definitely beneficial to us allowing us to be more confidence in the way we write and also the way we speak! Lets continue working hard together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this well focused critical reflection, Eunice. As you have explained, it's good that you came to understand how to give feedback through the course of the term. I just wonder how you might use what you learned in these feedback sessions to improve on your writing in other modules.

    Whatever the case, I've enjoyed working with you this term. All the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete