Sunday 8 November 2015

Oral Presentation Reflection

On 5th November 2015, my group and I had our oral presentation. We had to present our proposed solutions that we came up with. The last time I did an oral presentation was in February when I had to do my final presentation after my internship ended. I dislike doing presentation as it makes me feel so nervous that my voice shakes and I stutter when I speak in front of a crowd.

For all my previous presentations, I have been very reliant on the scripts that I had prepared. Since my group's presentation slides only had pictures and we were not encouraged to use any scripts or cue cards, I got very stressed up trying to remember all the content that I had to say for the presentation. I practiced my lines at home many times and paced myself so that I would not rush through the points.

During the presentation, I walked up to the front of the room with a smile and started presenting. I was extremely nervous and my voice was shaking. Halfway through my presentation, I forgot what I wanted to say and I started looking up at the ceiling thinking of how to continue with my presentation. At last, I remember what I had to say and continued with it. I think that I projected my voice loud enough for everyone to hear. However, I feel that I spoke to quickly to rush finish my presentation because I was nervous. Also, I tried making eye contact with the audience, but my eyes were looking all over the place, unable to look directly at an individual.

I think that the basic keys to giving a presentation are 1) to have confidence, 2) able to project voice, 3) clear articulation and 4) making eye contact with the audience. I still have a lot to improve on with regards to giving an oral presentation. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Eunice, it was nice working with you for our module's project and assignment. It is easy to relate to you since I am in a similar situation as well. Presentation is not my forte and it has also been ages since I last had to do it. However, you did well for the presentation! You were able to deliver your thoughts to the audience and the smile you had closed the distance with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eunice, you gave a good presentation! Even though you were nervous before going up, but once you took the stage you felt comfortable and gave a good speech on our proposal. Keep up the good work, with more practice your presentation will be better. Clear your mind so that you will not feel so nervous and just be yourself when you give presentation. Audience like presenters to just be themselves. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eunice,
    I like the way you smile when you are doing your presentation, being your audience, it makes me feel rather comfortable listening to you and I couldn't tell that you are nervous by looking at your smile. I agree that you have projected your voice loud enough for everyone in the room to hear. Let me teach you a technique making you less nervous when doing eye contact with the audience. When doing a presentation, I tends to get nervous as well whenever I make an eye contact with the audience. However, my lecturer from poly taught me to look at the audience eyebrows or forehead instead of looking into their eyes, this could probably help you to lessen your nervousness as well! Overall, you had given a good presentation!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Eunice, for this detailed, honest reflection.

    ReplyDelete